website

This is an archive of our retired blog. Please visit out current website

www.berlindrawingroom.com

William Kentridge and Tonality

I like to show the drawings of the South African artist William Kentridge in my Drawing Workshop when we learn about tonality. I always try to show examples from at least one contemporary artist, even when going over the most fundamental drawing principles. 

What one might not realize, when looking at the drawings, is that many of them are actually stills from his short animation films. The charcoal drawing are worked over and photographed during the process, resulting in stop-motion animation. 


William Kentridge

William Kentridge

I promised my students from the Winter Drawing Workshop that we would watch this video from the great artist William Kentridge. But then we got so absorbed in our drawings that we never got around to it, so I am posting it here. Below is the film "Automatic Writing". 




If you want to learn more about how Kentridge creates the animation, here is a video where he explains his unique process.




No comments:

Post a Comment